Thursday, June 12, 2008

Columbia Crest 2006 Grand Estates Chardonnay


I have been curious to see what all of the commotion has been about this Washington State Chardonnay! I have tried Columbia Crest (www.columbia-crest.com) throughout my many years of wine tasting and have never been that impressed. The wines have always seemed to be a bit lacking. I am happy to report however that the ‘06 Grand Estates Chardonnay has changed my opinion of this winery. I had read that Columbia Crest Grand Estates was given a pretty good score by Wine Spectator (www.winespectator.com). The Grand Estates Chardonnay was first bottled in the 1999 vintage. Their efforts have truly paid off and they definitely have a “better than table wine” vino to share with the world.


On the nose I gathered strong green apple and pears with a little butterscotch. There is a definite pear and melon taste with a pinch of spice to bring it all together. There is also a creaminess that is quite surprising for a bottle of wine that only cost me $8.87 at Pavilions (
www.pavilions.com). This is definitely a wine that I feel that my friend Cathy in Virgina would really like AND she will probably be able to find this one!!

Hats off to Columbia Crest Winery!!


20andUnder Score: A-

No comments: