Sunday, July 27, 2008

Bodega Winebar - Santa Monica

Bodega Winebar (www.bodegawinebar.com) happens to be just a block and a half away from where I work. How nice is that? I had passed the bar a few times while walking in the neighborhood and they have come up on some of my wine related Google searches. So my boss and I decided to try it out on a Tuesday night right after work.

The bar opens at 5pm Tuesday through Sunday. We walked in around 6:15pm. The place had a nice noisy crowd enjoying the happy hour. There was a bar with two bartenders, several small round hightop tables with stools and some larger hightop rectangular tables with stools. There was loungey, comfy sofa-like seating against the wall behind us and then the same type of seating in the windows. There was a nice red glow to the room which softened up the concrete floors.

Our waitress was friendly and quick. I had already learned that Tuesday night was Andrew Jackson night - any bottle of wine for $20 (the regular price is $32 per bottle). The wine list consists of 12 reds and 12 whites. We chose a red (I'll tell you about this in my next blog) and ordered the brushetta and olive tapenade. They also have certain appetizer specials during happy hour.

The crowd was very diverse and upbeat. Just like you would imagine in Santa Monica! They also have a location (the original) in Pasadena. They have their $20 bottles of wine on Wednesday nights...hmmm.

Will I return to Bodega Winebar in Santa Monica? You betcha!! But probably on Tuesday night...who can beat $20 bottles of wine at a winebar? And it fits into the 20andUnder philosophy.

20andUnder Score: A+

No comments: