Wednesday, May 21, 2008

American Idol Finale Night with a nice priced Rioja!

Campo Viejo 2003 Reserva Tempranillo (www.campoviejo.com)


What an interesting wine to taste while watching American Idol's seventh season finale you may ask? Just like American Idol, I was sure I would enjoy it no matter what the outcome. I love Rioja's and have not had one in a long while. This wine is from one of Spain's best producers - Campo Viejo (http://www.campoviejo.com/).


The wine began with a very fruity and intoxicating and earthy/smokey aroma - much like a good California Pinot Noir. It had a nice full flavor in the mouth - mostly ripe blackberries with a touch of vanilla. The acidity was felt on the sides of the tongue and gave me the impression I had just enjoyed a sampling of orange peel.


After the first taste I decided to decant to see if it would further open up - it did so within the hour. This bottle did not last as long as the two hour American Idol (www.AmericanIdol.com) finale. What is even better is that this wine cost only $11.99 at my neighborhood Pavilions.


20andUnder Score: B+

No comments: